Fresh Fruit Salsa with Honey & Poppy Seeds
Salsa or Pico de Gallo is traditionally a savory mixture of tomatoes, peppers, onion and cilantro, we used the same method and made a fresh fruit version! This can be made with any of your favorite fruits, the addition of honey and poppy seeds added a bit of sweetness and some extra crunch. Fruit salsa can be used as a dip for chips or as a topping for pancakes, waffles, grilled or roasted meats and desserts!
1 cup blueberries, cut in quarters
1 cup red & green grapes, diced
2 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 cups seedless watermelon, peeled and diced
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving
- Serve with cinnamon pita chips, graham crackers or waffle cones/bowls (broken into pieces) for scooping
Mini Pancake Kabobs
A simple and fun Mother's Day breakfast idea that the kids can help create! Use your imagination - toppings and flavor combinations are endless for these kabobs!
You will need:
Pancake mix - prepared as stated on the box
Berries - strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
Tooth picks or skewers
Arrange all pancake kabobs on a platter and garnish with fresh fruit. Serve hot with butter and syrup or just enjoy the kabobs as is!
- Prepare pancake batter as stated on box.
- Gather topping and cook, wash, slice as needed.
- Heat skillet and cook pancakes as directed on package. We made "bite-size" pancakes, about 2 inches wide - some plain and some chocolate chip
- It was easiest to use a measuring cup to pour batter on the griddle.
- Once all pancakes are cooked, it is time to create! Stack 3 pancakes and choose a topping, place topping in the center of the 3 pancakes and secure with a toothpick/skewer.
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Looking for a not-so-sneaky way to get your kiddos to willingly eat all of their veggies? Have them create their very own lettuce wraps! This is a fun, healthy, hands-on dinner idea that whole family will enjoy. Not a fan of lettuce? Whole wheat tortillas can be used instead.
You will need:
1 1/2 pounds thin sliced boneless chicken breast
1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into think strips
2 cups matchstick carrots
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced into thin strips
1 head of bibb lettuce, pulled apart, washed and patted dry
1/2 pound angel hair or thin spaghetti
Crunchy lo mein noodles
Mandarin orange slices
Dressing or additional Teriyaki sauce
In a medium bowl, combine Teriyaki sauce, garlic and ginger - stir to combine. Add boneless chicken breasts to mixture, place in refrigerator to marinate for 2 - 3 hours.
Prepare vegetables and arrange on a large dish or platter.
Noodles should be cooked as directed on package, then drained and cooled by running cold water over them in a colander. Heat pan with 1 tbsp of oil over medium. Add chicken and sauté until cooked through. Slice cooked chicken into thin strips.
Making the wraps:
Take one bibb lettuce leaf and fill with desired ingredients - chicken, carrots, peppers, cumbers, spaghetti and a drizzle of dressing or Teriyaki sauce. My kiddos also added mandarin oranges and lo mein noodles to their wraps.
No campfire needed! Love s'mores, but don't have a campfire handy? Here is a new way to enjoy a treat loved by all! This dessert is great for all occasions - birthday, BBQ, potluck or just because!
1 box chocolate cake mix, prepared as directed on box
4 cups chocolate pudding
9 graham crackers (full size rectangles)
3 cups mini marshmallows
12 oz whipped topping
1 chocolate bar (we used Hershey's)
Prepare and bake cake as directed on package. After baking is complete, it is time to chop up up your masterpiece! Just take a knife and cut the cake into cubes. No need to be neat or exact, this can be done right in the pan it was baked in. Set aside to cool.
- In a trifle bowl, layer 1/2 of the cake
- Spread 2 cups of pudding on top of the cake.
- Break up 4 graham crackers into bite-size pieces and spread evenly over pudding
- Top graham crackers with 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Layer 1/2 of the whipped topping
- Repeat steps above - cake, pudding, crackers, mini marshmallows and whipped topping. The top layer will be whipped topping.
- Garnish with crushed graham crackers, mini marshmallows and pieces of chocolate bar!
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.