Meet a NYC Parent: Lainie Gutterman




Tell us a bit about yourself
My husband and I are both grew up in Central New Jersey.  We both lived and worked in the city when we met the summer of 2007. 

What did you do before being a stay home mom?
I was a founding partner of a boutique public relations firm which specializes in food, wine and spirits.

What made you choose to stay home?
I consider myself so extremely lucky that I am able to stay home and raise my children.  I did not want to put a baby in daycare or have a nanny raise my family.  My husband said that I found my true calling when my son was born.  

Any advice for new moms? (contemplating staying home)  
Take advantage of all the activities, classes, events and groups the city has to offer.  Try to find a support group and become part of a playgroup.  But as you interact and obtain advice from others, make sure to trust your own mothering instincts and do what is best for you, your baby and your family.  

Why do you think NYC rocks as a place to raise kids?
I can't imagine a better place to raise a family!  NYC offers so much in terms of activities, classes, groups, parks, facilities. My family enjoys being able to walk everyone and all of the diversity at our footsteps.  My husband is able to have lunches with us, as well as attend doctor and other appointments, plus he's almost home by 7pm without a long commute home.  

Tell us about your baby
We have a 3 and a half year old son, Ian, who my blog, Me, Myself & Baby I, is named after.  He enjoys watching Nick Jr (at the moment Blues Clues and Team Umi Zoomi are his favs, where it used to be Yo Gabba Gabba & Olivia) having Curious George and Eric Carle books read to him, playing with his numbers puzzle or educational apps on the iPad, and anything involving numbers, shapes, colors and letters.  He's quite the 'lil rockstar.  5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed and Call me Maybe are his favorite songs. 

Iam is about to become a big brother!  His baby sister Greenlee's due date is June 4.  As I type this, I am experiencing Braxton Hicks!  


What's their favorite local places?
Ian enjoys playing at the park.  He is a brand marketer's dream and we can't pass a Dunkin Donuts, Jamba Juice or Pinkberry without insisting he go in and get a treat.  We often have to change our route to avoid him seeing/passing one of his favorite shops.  Weekend brunches is one of our family's favorite things to do.    



Any tips for other moms?
Whatever your child is currently going through, remember it's a stage and by the time you have whatever it is figured out, they'll be on to the next thing.  Cherish every minute because while the days may seem long, their childhood goes by in the blink of an eye.   

Are you a NYC parent? Want a shout out? Tell us about yourself and your baby. 

Follow Lainie here:

Blog Me, Myself & Baby I http://memyselfandbabyi.com/
Twitter @meandbabyi
FB https://www.facebook.com/#!/Memyselfandbabyi

Labels: , ,