By Bonnie Joy Dewkett
You've created an awesome organization system and you can't wait to show it off to your friends and family. You take some photos, post them online, drag the family into see it, and then sit back and relax after all your hard work.
Then, life happens. Before you know it, toys are on the floor, clothes are in piles and the cabinets are jammed. So how do you prevent all this from happening? Here are some tips for making sure your success lasts.
1. Give everyone a "tour" of your work. Show them where items now belong. Explain why you designed the system the way you did. Sometimes when people don't participate in the system, they simply don't understand how it works.
2. Label everything. For kids who cannot read yet, use pictures. They can draw them, or you can use printed photos. With things labeled it is hard to make excuses on not putting things away.
3. Tell your family how hard you worked. Tell them about the investment you made to make your home better. If possible, get them involved in the organizing process. Ask them what problems they would like to solve.
4. Set aside time to put things away. Kids, adults, everyone in the house can participate in a ten minute tidy every day. This doesn't seem like much, but with an "all hands on deck" mentality, you can get a lot accomplished.
5. Know that your home won't go back to perfect every day. However, once you have a system in place, it is easy to put things right when you do have a few minutes. Also, when items have a home, you put them away with no trouble. Just like you empty the dishwasher...you know where the items go and put them away with no struggle.
6. Reward yourselves. Take the family out to dinner or a movie, or have a game night. Reward yourself for keeping your organizational systems in place.
Determine what works for your family. However, the key to to be firm and form the proper habits. Kids will follow your lead. So set a good example and keep a happy attitude about organizing and cleaning up.
Bonnie Joy Dewkett, CPO® is a nationally recognized organizing expert, author, motivational speaker, and internet radio personality. She began organizing as a child, and she has been organizing ever since. Her company, The Joyful Organizer®, creates and implements organizational systems for the home and office. These changes allow her Customers to create calm from chaos at work and at home. Bonnie is passionate about helping her clients meet their organizational goals, and loves to see the positive impact that getting organized has on their lives.